E Construction Ltd.
is one of Western Canada’s largest paving contractors, with over 650 employees helping us provide our products and services throughout Alberta, Saskatchewan and the Northwest Territories. Our equipment fleet and shops are among the most modern in our business. We take pride in our employees and place a high-value on establishing a workplace where people are challenged and respected every day.
We are looking for a professional and enthusiastic, seasonal SCREED OPERATOR
, to work full-time in our Cold Lake Division during the 2019 construction season.
Reporting to the Foreman, the Screed Operator is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the free-floating screed, attached to the paver vehicle. The Screed Operator controls the quantity and consistency of asphalt that is deposited; estimating overall quantity for the project, as well as the quantity needed to achieve the correct grade in the finished surface.
- Operate the free-floating asphalt screed in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Perform daily maintenance and safety checks of equipment.
- Observe and control the distribution of asphalt mix to ensure uniformity to obtain specified compacted mat thickness and cross section, while achieving proper surface drainage with minimal segregation.
- Adjust where and how think asphalt is places, measuring the width and thickness of asphalt and determining the application rate.
- Using the screed controls on the paver, control the thickness of the mat by tilting the screed forward to lower the depth, and tilting the screed backwards to increase the depth.
- Observe terrain ahead of paver, and adjust screed to factor in dips and variations in the base, to achieve level and consistent asphalt surface.
- Preheat the screed to hot mix asphalt temperature, to avoid sticking and tears in the mat.
- Ability to coordinate, discuss and plan project paving procedures and goals with fellow paving crew personnel.
- Instruct asphalt rakers and labour staff as required.
- Train new employees in the safe and efficient operation of the grader.
- Promote, execute and adhere to the company’s safety program, and encourage all employees, sub-contractors and consultants to adopt safety as a culture.
- Attend daily and weekly safety meetings and inspections.
- Operate other heavy equipment and other construction related duties as required.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. preferred.
- Class 5 Drivers License required.
- Minimum 5 to 7 years’ experience within the road construction industry.
- 3 to 5 years’ experience operating a Screed is required.
- Knowledge road construction materials, road construction processes and industry requirements.
- Understanding of computerized controls and electronics.
- Must be physically able to repetitively lift and carry at least 50 lbs. on a regular basis.
- Use of Personal Protection Equipment is required.
- Must comply with the company’s drug and alcohol testing policy, including testing requirements.
- Willing to work out of town and in remote locations, as required.
- Willing to work overtime, as required.
We are pleased to offer the successful candidate an attractive wage, comprehensive benefits, including a pension plan, educational assistance, company provided accommodations (for those who qualify), excellent opportunities for professional growth, and more.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please send in your resume by pressing the "Apply Now" button below.
We thank all candidates for their interest in a position with E Construction Ltd., however only candidates selected to move forward will be contacted.